Sunday, March 11, 2012

16 Miles...Gets Me Every Time!

Today I rocked 16 miles!...ok, maybe 16 miles rocked me...Whatever, minor details!  This was probably the first run in a long time, where I felt muscles and joints I did not know existed.  As the saying goes, "no pain, no gain", right?  I'm stoked I got 16 miles under my belt, just now feeling a little nervous for 18, 20 and the big sha-bang, 26.2!  The miles are now getting up there in preparation for the big day - it's exciting and nerve wracking all wrapped into one!

As I was wrapping up 16 miles today, clearly in pain, the thought that crossed my mind is, "Holy Crap!  In 1 month, I'll be running this...PLUS 10 more miles!" I suppose 16 miles wouldn't have been so challenging if I had a running buddy to keep me out of my own brain for 3 whole hours, but such is life.  Today really was a good mentally challenging run.  I ran solo and had to figure out a way to shake the negative thoughts out of my brain a few times, I resorted to pretending my old running buddy was running along side me, then mixed it up and pretended my boyfriend was biking alongside me...it was not as good as the real thing, but totally did the trick!  It's amazing really, our body's will do anything to get us to stop doing whatever it is that is conflicting pain.  Thoughts will turn from positive, "I got this in the bag!!!" to "you can't do this, there is no way you are finishing today's run".  It's a humbling experience to overcome those pessimistic thoughts and finish what you sought out to achieve.


The funny thing is that when I was training last year for the San Francisco Marathon, the 16 miler run was a physically and mentally exhausting run as well...only difference is that last year it was 20 degrees out and snowing/raining...at least today was close to 60 degrees and a perfect blue bird day!.  Either way, glad to be past this threshold.

Next weekend, I'm going for 20 miles and already recruited my "Coach" aka boyfriend to bike along side me.  Not going alone on that one!

Stay tuned to hear how it goes!

Countdown is getting real, people!  Please donate now to MBHP...for reals, like NOW!!!!www.crowdrise.com/MariaDias


Thanks for following my journey!

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment